Q What sort of visa is required for Yokohama Design College?
You are able to obtain students visa for a maximum of two years. Alternatively, some students hold family visas or short stay visas for study in the school.
Q What nationality are most students in Yokohama Design College?
Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, Thai, Nepalese, Russian, Bangladeshi and others.
Q Currently, how many students are enrolled there?
In October 2008, the total number of long term students and short term students was about 210.
Q Has Yokohama Design College been authorized as a school?
Yokohama Design College is a Specialized School which has been prescribed by Article 82in the School Education Act. It has been authorized by Association for the Promotion of Japanese Language Education. It has also been authorized by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology as a specialized school.
Q How many students occupy each class?
Classes usually consist of about 15 students depending on the level of the class.
Q What sort of careers can students expect in the future after studying Japanese language at Yokohama Design College?
About 80% of the students in Yokohama Design College proceed to postgraduate schools, universities and specialized schools. In the case of proceeding to specialized courses within Yokohama Design College, students are entitled to receive priority entry from the school and furthermore are eligible for a reduction or an exemption from tuition fees.
Q Is there a study room in Yokohama Design College?
There is a Student Lounge available for our students on the second floor in the school building, in the lounge students are able to access the internet, enjoy relaxing or self-study.
Q Does Yokohama Design College provide a student dormitory?
The school provides direct management of dormitories for students, which are located in four different areas. The rooms are reserved on a first come, first served basis; therefore not all students applying are able to move into the dormitory if applications are exceeded. In such cases, the school introduces students to alternative accommodation such as a private dormitory, guest house, or apartments.
Q Can anyone buy Student Season Tickets?
Student Season Tickets are issued only for student visa holders. However, the tickets are valid only between stations in the area of school and your residence. Therefore, students need to be aware that Student Season Tickets cannot be used from the station at your place of work.
Q How much is the cost of study books? Please advise me of any other expenses occurring.
The cost of study books is 20,000 yen a year. Other expenses are 30,000 yen in total for external activities and others.
Q Does the school accept payment in installments for tuition fees?
The cost of study books is 20,000 yen a year. Other expenses are 30,000 yen in total for external activities and others.
Q Does the school accept payment in installments for tuition fees?
We accept payment by installments but it depends on the country.
Q Does the school accept admissions into short term courses in the middle of the term?
It is possible on condition that the level of class is appropriate for the student applying and vacancies.
Q Where should I contact if I wish to apply?
At first, please contact the International Centre in Yokohama Design College. If there is a Contact Branch Office in the country where the student is applying from, staff in the Contact Branch Office will get in touch with you later. In other cases, if there is not a Contact Branch Office in the country where the student is applying from, the student is required to deal directly with staff in the International Centre in Yokohama Design College.
Q Do you provide private lessons for students?
Yes, we do. Students are charged from 3,000 yen per hour for private lessons. A trial lesson is available, so please feel free to ask the school.
Q Do teachers teach lessons in our first language?
No, they teach students the Japanese language in Japanese. It sounds difficult for new students in the beginning; however students will get the most out of it if they study the Japanese language in Japanese.
Q How many hours of lessons are there in a day?
The day consists of four sessions of lessons that last forty five minutes each. The Japanese language class is divided into two parts, which is held in the morning and afternoon.
Q Is these an entry test?
Yes, there is a level check test on admission. After being allocated to the correct level class, each class organizes a test for students to complete their current level, and moreover there is a term end examination twice a year.
Q What kind of course books are used in a class?
For the Beginner Class, "Minnano Nihongo" is used. In the Intermediate Class, we use New Approach Japanese Intermediate Course, Preparation Study in Japan and Preparation for Japanese Language Proficiency Test. Pre-Advanced Class uses New Approach Japanese Pre-Advanced Course, and in the Proficiency Class practical materials, which include newspapers and publications, are often used as course books. Appropriate course materials are provided for students for achieving the specific level of each subject such as reading, grammer, writing, listening, vocabulary and kanji.
Q Can I catch up with lessons even if I am not familer with Kanji characters at all?
It is not necessary to be concerned about it since a program in which students learn Kanji is provided. Many of the students coming from other countries where Kanji is not used study here. We are sure that students coming from such countries will learn step by step.
Q Are the teachers Japanese?
All of them are qualified Japanese teachers and are well experienced.
Q From what age can the school accept students for admission, and is there an age requirement for entry?
Students should satisfy criteria defined by immigration authorities to gain a student visa for studying in Japan, therefore the range of acceptable age is between eighteen and around thirty-five years old.
People who have already lived in Japan and possess another status of residence do not need to meet a particular age requirement, therefore please apply to us at any time.
Q What conditions must be met to become a sponsor?
Regarding a sponsor, it can be referred to in the Application Guidelines for Japanese Language Class; alternatively the essential conditions are given below.
(1) Only if a person, who studies in Japan, makes a payment by themselves.
(2) Only if a person, who lives in Japan, makes a payment for a dependent.
(3) Only if a parent, whose child studies in Japan, makes a payment for their son/daughter.
Q How many years can a student study in Japan with a Student Visa?
Studying Japanese in our school takes two years. After graduating the Japanese Language Class, students are able to obtain a Student Visa if the students proceed to further education such as Specialized School or University. The length of lessons in a particular subject in a Specialized Course is two years. When students reach a period of two years of course study, they will obtain a specialist qualification in the area they have studied. The length of Program Kelas Bahasa Jepangs is a year, a year and half, two years.
Q In the Program Persiapan Universitas, can students learn subjects other than Japanese?
There is a special program, including a mathematics class that is for an examination study abroad and Integrated Subjects. There is also an English lesson that is for the preparation of TOEFL.
Q What is the Open Class?
Yokohama Design College offers a specialized course that consists of Fashion Design, Visual Design, Media Design, Dance & Vocals and an advanced course that consists of Fashion and Design, apart from the Japanese Language Class. The Open Class offers a learning opportunity for students once a week in which students learn a chosen subject apart from their major subjects. Studying with other Japanese students helps foreign students to improve their natural Japanese conversation skills.
Q Does the school provide a student grant?
Japan Student Services Organization offers an incentive grant for students, but not for everybody. Foreign students proceeding to the Specialized Course except the Program Kelas Bahasa Jepang whose support expenses are eligible for a reduction or exemption of 150,000 yen. If students proceed within Yokohama Design College, from Program Kelas Bahasa Jepang to Specialized Course in our school, 250,000 yen is reduced as an incentive grant.
Q What conditions must be met for promotion and graduation?
Only if attendance reaches the predefined total amount of time and attainment targets at each course are achieved, will students be promoted or graduate from school. In the Specialized Course, if students did not reach 1,700 hours in total of attendance in two years, the students will not be eligible for a diploma.